Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Personal Statement #2.



Being involved in my school, community, or anywhere has not always been an easy task for me. I have always been know to be a shy person when it comes to meeting new people and it usually takes time to open up. But over the years my outlook on things have changed and I have became very involved in many organizations.


Ever since I was a child my religion has been something that I have valued deeply. Around the age of 10 I got involved in an organization among my church called, Christian Youth Fellowship, also know as CYF. It is categorized as a spiritual group for kids ages 7-18 to get them more involved in the community and church. We have done many activities such as: make lunches for homeless shelters, sung at nursing homes, held banquet fundraisers, car washes, and many more activities to help us give back to the community. The seven years that I have been in this youth group I have held the title of Secretary, Vice President, and President. My peers were the ones who nominated me to these positions beause they felt that I could take responsibility and lead them in the correct path.


Cheerleading has always been a good way for me to use my cheerful spirit. In the fourth grade I decided to start cheering for my brother's Little League football team and it has been with me all the way through high school. I have been on the squad for all four years of my high school career. The purpose of this group is to expose the student body to an example of having positive school spirit at all times. Whenever the captain is not able to make it to a game, I am always the one appointed to the role of being in charge for that game due to the fact that I have had the most experience on the squad. This shows that I am a very reliable and dedicated person and can always be counted on in the time of need.


Summer Scholars is a more recent organization that I have become a part of. It is a summer program at UNO that helps high acheiving high school seniors get prepared for college. It also has a service learning project at the end of the program to allow us to have a chance to choose what we would like to do as an activity to help the community. This year we will be removing graffiti off of public places that have been vandalized. I have been nominated to serve on the service learning leadership team and help lead the rest of the students along with seven other classmates in making our environment healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment